|Holy Trinity Episcopal ChurchEdit This Page|
|Total MinistryBack to the top|
Holy Trinity has moved into the next century by developing a Total Ministry method of providing leadership in the church. Total Ministry allows many members of the church to fulfill their Baptismal vows by doing the ministries God has called each of us to do. We will soon have an ordained Priest, our vestry is busy with the affairs of the church and music flows from the building during each service. We have hosted an Ecumenical Good Friday service and have had weddings and funerals celebrated at Holy Trinity.
The goal of the congregation is to be a place of friendly worship, allowing all persons to feel free to praise God in our midst. We answer God's call to us by providing "Today's Word in an Historical setting".
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church is a Total Ministry Church. A team has been called from within the congregation to delegate the different areas of church life. According to Paul, we are each part of the body, which, when put together makes a whole body. So it is with Total Ministry.
The congregation is soon to experience the joy of ordaining a priest. Adult and youth Sunday School classes run every Sunday during the regular school year and Holy Trinity has a small teen youth group that supports several outreach projects in the community. Sunday worship services reflect the Anglican tradition but incorporate the needs of many different beliefs. All persons are welcome at Holy Trinity and encouraged to become seekers of God's Word in today's world.
Whether you are "Cradle Episcopalian" or have never been to an Episcopal Church, Holy Trinity can be your home church.
|Church HistoryBack to the top|
Holy Trinity Church is the only church in Rock County to have been designated as a Historical Site by the Minnesota Register of Historical Sites. This was accomplished in 1975 through the efforts of the local Historical Society.
The architecture of the church has long been a source of pride. The Plains’ Architectural Heritage Society has studied and commented on the architecture.
The Church was built by the Hinkly family of Luverne. R. B. Hinkly was a stone quarryman and owned the quarry in what is now Blue Mound State Park. It was constructed out of a durable pink quartzite, generally known as Sioux Quartzite. Since the earliest day of Rock County the rock was quarried openly at the Blue Mounds. If you take the road up to the Interruptive Center you can see where the stones were dug.
Large rock was sawed by quarrymen into rough blocks, then the blocks were dragged to a stonecutter’s shed adjacent to the church site. The stonecutter hand-dressed the rough blocks into symmetrical rectangles. The blocks were then laid with an artistry and precision that eclipses masonry techniques of today. The woodwork is hand-planed and turned oak. Each piece, the Cathedral beams, the Chancel, the Communion Rail, and the oaken floor, reflect the craftsmanship of a bygone era.
On July 23, 1891, Lots 21 and 22 in Block 16 were deeded to the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota (A picture in the Undercroft of the church shows the laying of the cornerstone in 1891). The parcel had been purchased from and conveyed by R. B. Hinkly.
The first Episcopal service was held in the Presbyterian church in Luverne in March, 1883, by Rev. D. Griffith Gunn of Worthington. At that time he conducted a service of the Episcopalian form in the Presbyterian church. Interest in the matter of organizing an Episcopal church was aroused and during the next few years services were held from time to time by circuit-riding priests.
The Parish was organized June 25, 1891, with Rev. C. S. Ware chosen as first Rector. The first vestry consisted of N. R. Reynolds, T. E. Jones, W. H. Wilson, J. W. Gerber, J. W. Millhouse, and R. B. Hinkly. The erection of a church was agreed upon and on August 19th, 1891, Bishop Gilbert and Rev. Ware laid the cornerstone. The building was completed in the late fall at a cost of $6,000.00. On December 13, 1891, Rev. Ware opened the oaken doors for the first service but the dedication ceremonies did not eventuate until six years later, when it was accomplished with the indebtedness cleared. The event took place Monday, November 7, 1897, Bishop Gilbert officiating.
The windows in the church are original and were made and shipped over here from England. The altar and all woodwork are still original to the 1890's era and during 1892, gifts from parishioners helped to furnish the church. Mr. Lewis presented a memorial chancel chair in memory of his son, W. J. Jones. On the same day the Sunday School children donated a lectern. Later at Christmas, a beautiful marble baptismal font complete with an oaken base and an oaken cover, was given by Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Gerber and Mrs. Ware as memorials. The bell tower has been opened in recent years to reveal the original stained glass windows of the steeple.
In 1894 the church was given an altar cross, dossal, altar cloth, hymnal holder, and tract rack. When a handsome prayer desk was donated by Mrs. J. H. Aldrich in 1897 most of the furnishings, still in use today, had been obtained.
Recently, the church has been air-conditioned and new wiring has been installed. This and the remodeling of the Undercroft has made this church more functional for today's worship services. In 2003 a new piano was purchased to accompany in the worship services. A wonderful organ has also been obtained in recent years.
|Like this website, want to volunteer or have suggestions? Please take a moment to provide some feedback.|